HISTORICAL TOUR IN THE FAUBOURG* DE DESSUS*
RUE DES PEUPLIERS* or RUE DU PONT VIEUX*
This is a very old way leading to a fort across river Arros. In the 15th century the first bridge over the river was built there. The « old bridge » remained the only access to Plaisance until the 17th century.
The street lead to Saint Pierre Lesperrets' fuller built at the beginning of the 19th century. In 1892 it became the first mill in Gascony to be operated on electricity. Léon Rosapelly, the owner of the mill at the time, originated the change.
The building was beautifully renovated at the beginning of the 21st century and its current owners were awarded Général Massimy Prize which encourages and rewards the efforts to preserve Gers heritage. The buiding is not open to the public but you will get a good view of the mill from the bridge.
• faubourg : suburb
• de dessus : upstream
• peupliers : poplars
• pont vieux : old bridge
Mairie de Plaisance du Gers
3 Place du 8 Mai 1945-
code postal :32160